In Season Fishing:
Limit: General limits is 5 per day and never more than 10 in possession. See regulation limits that apply to specific waterways.
Bona fide trout fishing season is the last Saturday in April through November 15 every year. In 2018, Opening Day, aka “Fishmas,” is Saturday, April 28, 2018. This is when most waters in Mono County are open to anglers to fish for as many as 5 trout to catch-and-keep per day (Always check local regulations. Some waters have special restrictions. View regulations here – https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations) or call 760-872-1171. Popular waters where these rules apply include Crowley Lake, Convict Lake, the Mammoth Lakes Basin, June Lake Loop waters and the Bridgeport Reservoir. From Nov. 16 through the last Friday in April all waters in Mono County (see exceptions below) are closed to fishing.
Limit: 0 per person
At all other times of year, if you wish to fish in Mono County, there are several bodies of water where CATCH-AND-RELEASE ONLY is permitted year-round on public lands with barbless artificial flies and lures only. This includes:
– East Walker River, which begins out of Bridgeport Reservoir and heads out Hwy. 182;
– West Walker River, which parallels Highway 395 through Walker and Coleville, one mile north of the Highway 108 turnoff, to the Topaz Lake inlet;
– Hot Creek; east of Mammoth Lakes and ideal for all skill levels of fly fishing – Hot Creek is 0 take year round. (Barbless flies only, no lures or baits allowed.
– Upper Owens River – (certain sections only); the river runs along Owens River Road, which travels east of US 395 between June Lake and Bishop.
– above Benton Crossing Bridge – 0 take from Nov 15 to trout opener, from trout opener to Nov 15 limit is 2 fish under 16 inches (barbless lures / flies only year round)
– below Benton Crossing Bridge to Monument – closed to fishing Oct 1 through Friday proceeding Memorial day (end of May), remainder of time 5 trout any size
– below Monument – 5 per day no gear restrictions during trout season except as follows: August 1 – Nov 15 barbless lures / flies 2 trout over 18 inches, Nov 15 through trout opener – closed to fishing.
Note: Always check regulations here – https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations or call 760-872-1171.